Controlling Mosquitoes At Home
Sharing your property with mosquitoes can be frustrating, as they can ruin any backyard barbecue or pool party pretty quickly with their annoying bites and buzzes. But these insects are much more than annoying. They also spread diseases such as West Nile, yellow fever, dengue fever, malaria, and Zika.
Regular mosquito treatment, especially in summer, is necessary to control the mosquito population in your yard. Look to your trusted mosquito exterminator in Phoenix AZ to provide seasonal treatment for these critters. Meanwhile, educate yourself on mosquito pest control with our handy guide.
What to Look For
Here are some tell-tale signs that you have a mosquito infestation.
- Standing water on your property: Female mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, laying up to hundreds at a time!
- Constant buzzing sound: Like other flying insects, mosquitoes make an annoying high-pitched buzzing sound.
- Shady areas: Mosquitoes like shady or dimmed areas, such as in or near woods.
- Bites: This is an obvious sign you have mosquitoes, but many people are unaware that it’s the females that generally do all the biting and not the males. That’s because they need blood to produce eggs.
- Hovering over food: Male mosquitoes feed off of nectar and sweets, so you may spot them hovering over fruits or other sweets in your kitchen.
- Humidity: Moisture attracts mosquitoes, which the air is filled with when it’s humid out.
Causes and Prevention
From sweets to standing water, there are many things that could be attracting mosquitoes to your yard. Eliminating these sources will help control the mosquito population in your Phoenix yard.
Light candles: Leave candles or lanterns on your porch or patio when outdoors at night. They should contain essential oils to repel these insects such as:
Spray personal repellents: If you’re planning to spend time out in the yard, spray repellent all over your body. It also helps to wear long pants and long sleeves.
Clean up debris: Remove areas of standing water, such as kiddie pools, overturned garbage can lids and yard toys. Trim your trees to create less shade in your yard.
Sprinkle coffee grounds: Sprinkle coffee grounds in areas of standing water, which prevents mosquito larvae from growing.
There are a few things you can do to rid your yard of mosquitoes, such as those above. But sometimes you need professional attention to see long-term, reliable results. Our Mesa pest control technicians can spray your yard throughout the summer to keep mosquitoes from coming back. These sprays have been proven to be the most effective way to prevent mosquitoes from infiltrating yards.
Common Mosquitoes in Phoenix
You may assume that mosquitoes are just mosquitoes, and that they’re all the same. But just as with any insect, there are many different species all over the world. The ones that are common to Arizona include:
- Western encephalitis mosquito
- Southern house mosquito
- Yellow fever mosquito
- Western malaria mosquito
- Inland floodwater mosquito
- Dark rice field mosquito
- Asian tiger mosquito
Mosquito Treatment and Prevention Phoenix, AZ
We know mosquitoes here at Frontino and can provide effective pest control measures that help you reclaim your backyard. Contact us for a free quote on mosquito spraying at 602-338-9223.